Thursday, March 27, 2014

ME WRITE A MEMOIR? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Here’s the first of several rules that will help you create your Personal History:
Write it down as you think of it. Don’t try to be chronological and don’t worry if your writing seems disorganized. There’s plenty of time for that after you’ve put your memories on paper.
In each new blog I will give you a start toward writing a chapter, a page, or a memory. It will be followed by an abbreviated example (in italics) from my own personal history to show you one possible way of doing. Follow your own lead. Mine might not be comfortable for you.
___
We have to start somewhere, so let’s go to some of your childhood memories.
If you were writing a play or novel, you’d have to make up a setting where the action takes place. Let’s start with your personal childhood setting: your bedroom. Walk into the room and look around. Write it down as you go. Talk about color and whether your shared it or had your own room. Did you have any part in choosing furniture? Where were things stored? Were there shelves on the wall? An armoire? Boxes on the floor? Was it bright or dark, neat or messy, was the floor carpeted? Most important – was it your special hideaway where you felt safe or was it not? What did you do there?
JG Entry
Two big windows brought morning light into my corner bedroom. Even when I closed the venetian blinds, the eastern sunrise filtered into the room reflecting on the pale yellow walls. I wonder if I was a natural early-riser, or if this daily experience throughout my childhood was the impetus for my “morning person” reputation.
My mother’s preference for period décor spilled into every room in the house. While I voted for a black, white and red color scheme, she chose dusty rose, green and cream. (I promised myself I would one day decorate in colors of my choosing. It took nearly twenty years, but I finally did when I decorated my first kitchen.)
Twin beds made “sleepovers” easy and comfortable. Secrets shared in the dark are better than any others, and many confidences were revealed in that room…
Now it’s your turn.
If you’re not sure how to move forward with this, email me (judy@as-you-recall.com)  to arrange a complimentary consultation.


No comments:

Post a Comment