Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Worth a Thousand Words"


They are probably hidden in a box (or several boxes) in the attic or the basement. Maybe they’re on the top shelf (the one you can’t reach without a step ladder) in the closet. And they are the key to memories that will invite you to write about them. Whether your photos were taken with a Kodak Brownie camera or a new Smart Phone, they capture moments and people, past and present, that lead you to your huge memory bank.
    I don’t have to tell you that keeping them in a box won’t help anybody. You know that. Every winter one of my friends says she plans to go through the boxes and sort them when it’s too snowy to go outside. After the winter we just endured in the northeast, she should have them all  neatly placed and captioned in acid-free pages of her albums. Of course it didn’t happen – but maybe next year. 
   For the sake of your descendants, PLEASE identify photos. Make it a family project and invite all generations to participate. Don’t wait until old photos elicit blank stares and the question “Who is that?” Keep your ancestors alive through your stories about them and photos that bring them to life.
    The mechanics of identifying photo subjects can be a tricky business. Most archivists prefer writing on the back of the photo rather than the front. The tool you use can be very important – you want to avoid bleeding through and you want to avoid using an instrument that requires pressure to write legibly. A good source for knowledgeable recommendations is your local photo or scrapbooking supply stores. If you decide to use a permanent felt-tip marker, a popular choice, test it in a corner first. Then be sure to allow the ink to dry before you put it away or stack it.
   Choose the photos that tell a story, that remind you of something or someone and make your memories come to life. Jot down notes about what you want to write, put the photo with the notes and make this the next project in your Personal History.
   Don't forget that you don’t have to worry about writing your Personal History chronologically. Just write.

JG Entry
 Our family photos are sorted by year with each album representing a span of time and the segment of the family it represents. I admit that it wasn’t my doing, but my determined husband who took on the job years ago. One of the perks of having them so well organized follows:
     When my cousin Cora invited me to visit her in Encino, California three years ago, I looked forward to spending time with her and her husband, Oliver. She and I are two of the last remaining members of our family, each of us having our own memories and stories. As with many families, a rift between her grandparents and mine during the 1950s resulted in the unfortunate fact that we had not known each other until we were adults. We needed that week together to exchange recollections and fit some of the family puzzle parts together.  
   I lost a night’s sleep when I realized that I had no idea what to bring as a house gift. Having never visited her home, I didn’t even know her color scheme or style. I asked Cora’s daughter, Molly, who was nearby attending NYU at the time. “They love roses,” she told me. “The main color scheme in the house is earth colors.” My creative juices were drying up.
   About ten days before my trip, I woke up one morning with my idea. I pulled out the albums with the appropriate years and family designations and started looking through them. There they were: photos of Cora’s mother as a teenager and me as a toddler, family holiday photos showing her parents and mine, summers at the beach with her grandparents and mine.
   Taking my cue from scrapbooking friends, I took the originals to Milford Photo and made copies of each photo I chose. Then I carefully trimmed them in silhouette and organized them into a collage. A visit to the framing store finished the unique gift that Cora placed in her family room the moment I gave it to her. Success!
Now it’s your turn.
If you’re not sure how to move forward with this, email me (judy@as-you-recall.com)  to arrange a complimentary consultation.





No comments:

Post a Comment